Rehabilitation at Sunbeam Hydrotherapy Unit
Physiotherapy and Hydrotherapy are commonly used in human medicine and have started to become a recognised treatment modality in veterinary medicine.
In our Hydrotherapy Unit we endeavour to devise treatment plans involving both physiotherapy and hydrotherapy to treat the various ailments our pets encounter.
Physiotherapy is the treatment of disease, injury, or deformity by physical methods such as massage, heat treatment, and exercise rather than by drugs or surgery.
Hydrotherapy treatment involves exercising on an underwater treadmill. By having the treadmill underwater and varying the water level it is possible to alter the amount of work done by the animal’s muscles and joints.
Physiotherapy and Hydrotherapy have proven beneficial in the treatment and management of arthritis, obesity and cardiac insufficiency. They are also beneficial in post-injury and post-surgical rehabilitation, speeding up healing and reducing the time taken by the animal to return to full fitness.
An individual treatment plan is tailored to your pets needs by our in-house physiotherapist.
Conditions treated are:
- Joint conditions
- Hip and elbow dysplasia
- Post orthopaedic surgery
- Soft tissue injuries (muscle
- Maintaining mobility in older patients
- Post-neurological injury
- Pre and post operative conditioning
- Arthritis – reduced pain and increased mobility
- CDRM – chronic degenerative radiculomyelopathy
- Spinal injuries
- Disc disease
- Cruciate ligament injuries and post operative recovery
- Muscle strengthening maintenance and restoration
- Relief of pain
- Relaxation of muscle spasms
- Cardiovascular fitness (heart and lungs)
- Obesity (weight loss in conjunction with diet)
- Mental well being
For further information or a tour of the unit please contact us on: 021 439 1600 or …Book Pet Hydrotherapy here Download our hydrotherapy booklet