We are delighted to be the first private veterinary practice in Ireland to offer CT scanning. We have the only veterinary 16 slice CT scanner in Ireland.
CT (computed tomography, also known as CAT scan) is a diagnostic tool that has long been essential in human medicine and will revolutionise veterinary medicine.
We are accepting referrals from other vets, either as outpatients or inpatients.
What is CT scanning?
- A CT (Computed Tomography) scan is a high speed diagnostic tool that uses a 360-degree x-ray beam to create detailed 2D or 3D images of the body.
- CT uses x-rays to create a cross-sectional image. This is achieved by imaging thin slices of the patient, similar to slicing a loaf of bread. This form of imaging, tomography provides the radiologist much more information about the patient than conventional x-ray.
- CT scanning is fast, painless, non invasive and accurate.
Why refer to Sunbeam for an outpatient CT scan?
- We are happy to see referrals on an outpatient basis. This means that you retain complete control of the case. The animal will be admitted and discharged by a veterinary nurse and the specialist CT report will be sent directly to you. In essence you can use the CT as an extension of your own practice.
In patient referrals
- Our vets have certificates in medicine, surgery, cardiology and chronic pain management. We also accept dental referrals.
What’s done during the scan?
- Each patient will be under sedation or general anaesthetic. The scan itself is very rapid and the animal will be closely monitored by our dedicated team of vets and veterinary nurses.
- Sometimes a special contrast material needs to be injected into the veins in order to visualise soft tissue structures more clearly.
- The images require detailed expert interpretation so they will be sent to a specialist. Results will usually be available within a few days and these results will be sent directly to the referring vet.
When to use a CT Scan:
- Imaging bones and joint
- Soft tissue and blood vessels
- Portosystemic shunt
- Air containing structures such as noses, throats and lungs
- Detecting and staging cancer
- Rabbit dental disease
- Eyes and ears
The CT costs €450 including GA. For interpretation there is a charge per body area. The first body area is €130, 2nd and subsequent body area is €80. 1 body area is Thorax, Abdomen/Pelvis, Spine C2-T2 or soft Tissue of the neck. Spine T3-Tail, One Joint Left and Right side, Two joints or entire limb
Contrast if required is 2ml per kg at a cost of €1/ml
For further information on how to avail of this offer phone the surgery or call in and have a chat with us.